If you wish to salvage your smile with an orthodontic treatment such as braces, make sure to do your part to clean and care for them during the treatment process. Over time, braces can weaken and fail if your oral health is neglected, so take the necessary steps to continue on the fastest path to oral health success.
Cleaning your braces is important so they can continue to align your smile. For more information about caring for your braces, consider the following:
– To make sure your braces will continue to function as required, some food restrictions may be obligatory. For starters, avoid sticky and chewy foods that can get trapped between your braces and teeth.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires a typical routine to operate as normal, including brushing and flossing daily. If you struggle from flossing with a standard thread, use alternatives such as water flossers.
– Sports and other outdoor activities are one of the most common causes of oral accidents in patients, so it is imperative to always protect your mouth at all times by wearing mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
– Try not to wait too long to clean your retainer, so try to focus on a routine of weekly cleaning.
– If a wire or bracket breaks on your braces, minimize the damage by covering the loose end with a dental wax and scheduling a visit with your orthodontist whenever possible.
– Don’t miss out on attending cleanings and exams with your orthodontist.
With the right orthodontic brace care, your smile will not only look better, but it can be healthier too. If you would like to meet with Dr. John R. Schouten and our team at Schouten Orthodontics for an examination, please call 801.491.9372 to schedule an appointment at our orthodontic office in Springville, Utah. Our wonderful staff is here to help you get the smile you want.