Do you know what a malocclusion is? A malocclusion is a bad bite caused by a misalignment in your mouth due to improperly aligned teeth or jaw. There are many different types of malocclusions responsible for a variety of defects that may exist in your smile.
Do you know your malocclusions? Listed below are some of the most common types:
Malocclusions with your incisors:
– When the center of your upper incisors does not line up with the center of your lower incisors, this is called a misplaced midline.
– When your lower incisors jut out past your upper incisors, this is a called an underbite, also known as bulldog teeth.
– When your upper incisors jut out past your lower incisors, this is called an overbite, also known as an upper protrusion or buck teeth. Severe forms of overbites are called deep bites.
– When your upper and lower incisors fail to connect when biting down, this is called an open bite.
Other forms of malocclusions:
– When your lower jawbone juts out past your upper jawbone, this is called a cross bite.
– Various spacing issues include large or irregular gaps in between your teeth or too many or overcrowded teeth in your mouth.
– When your teeth erupt above the gum line incorrectly or in the wrong space, this is called a transposition malocclusion.
– When your teeth are rotated out of a proper alignment, this is called a rotation malocclusion.
To learn more about bad bites and other oral health dangers, contact Dr. John R. Schouten and our team at Schouten Orthodontics by calling us at 801.491.9372. If you would like an oral exam, our orthodontic office is located in Springville, Utah. Schedule a visit and become a success story with a straighter smile today.